Friday, we woke up, ate a free breakfast, found the rest of the travel group consisting of me, Nata, Sammy, Rachel, my good friend Rosa (It was her birthday that day!), My friend Mary Lana and Rosa's friend from home, Ally and we headed to Munich. Again, the train was packed with men in Lederhosen and women in Drendels who were already drunk. We got off the train and followed the herds of lederhosen onto the subway and followed the lederhosen again up the escalator. The moment I stepped off the escalator, I was stunned by the amount of people, the culture, the rides and the amount of fun I could tell I was going to have already. We looked in a couple of "tents" to see if we had made it early enough to grab a seat inside. No such luck. We went out into the beer garden and ordered some beer. In Germany, they give it to you in Liters which is more beer than anyone needs in one sitting, but we all finished our beers before going out on the street! We walked along the streets of the festival buying steins, hats, presents for our families, pretzels, bratwurst and candied apples for hours. We stopped in another beer garden, split a couple more Liters and sang ein prosit for a little longer. The whole day feels like a blur of beer, lederhosen, pretzels, carnival rides and song. Then when we grew tired of the festival, we ventured out into the rest of Munich. We saw a beautiful cathedral, some monuments and did a little window shopping. However, the city of Munich was deserted due to the festival and we were all feeling the effects of our beer wearing off so we decided to catch a train back to Augsburg, get some dinner and go back to our respective hostels. Natalie, Sammy and I played cards in our hostel room before hitting the hay relatively early.
Saturday, we decided to stay in Augsburg and explore a little as opposed to going back into Munich. We hit a couple of antique shops, an Oktoberfest for children, did some more window shopping and soaked in some small town Germany.
Then, we found Bertolt Brecht's old house despite my mixed feelings for Mother Courage and Her Children. We also went into the most beautiful Cathedral I've seen yet. Overall, I loved Augsburg but as the day turned into night we grabbed some pizza and ice cream and went back to the bed and breakfast for a catnap. Sammy, Nata and I woke up around 11pm to catch the train into Munich. We went to the airport, found some cafe benches and went to sleep before our 7am flight.
Sunday, we were awaken by a pissed off cafe worker saying "hallo" and tapping her foot at 4am. We went through security, got some coffee and went to our gate where I got about another hour of sleep. We boarded our flight, stopped off in Geneva and before I knew it we were back in the Refectory eating Roast chicken and potatoes.
Coming up next: Field trips to Nottingham and Castle time!
Saturday, we decided to stay in Augsburg and explore a little as opposed to going back into Munich. We hit a couple of antique shops, an Oktoberfest for children, did some more window shopping and soaked in some small town Germany.
Then, we found Bertolt Brecht's old house despite my mixed feelings for Mother Courage and Her Children. We also went into the most beautiful Cathedral I've seen yet. Overall, I loved Augsburg but as the day turned into night we grabbed some pizza and ice cream and went back to the bed and breakfast for a catnap. Sammy, Nata and I woke up around 11pm to catch the train into Munich. We went to the airport, found some cafe benches and went to sleep before our 7am flight.
Sunday, we were awaken by a pissed off cafe worker saying "hallo" and tapping her foot at 4am. We went through security, got some coffee and went to our gate where I got about another hour of sleep. We boarded our flight, stopped off in Geneva and before I knew it we were back in the Refectory eating Roast chicken and potatoes.
Coming up next: Field trips to Nottingham and Castle time!
No comments:
Post a Comment